This chipotle bbq dry rub is a great spice blend for barbecuing chicken, beef or pork. It’s spicy, a bit sweet, a bit smoky and has a delicious and bold flavor.
You can also use this spice blend to make a delicious bbq aioli sauce!
The bold flavor in this dry rub comes from chipotle powder, smoked hot paprika and ancho chili powder and is balanced by a little bit of brown sugar. Brown sugar adds a delicious and complex sweetness to a dry rub that is perfect not just on meat but also on fish, like in this brown sugar salmon rub.
- The purpose of the ground ginger in this spice rub is to intensify the bold chili flavors. You won’t be able to actually taste the ginger.
- As always, I recommend to use high-quality spices from a dedicated spice shop rather than the grocery store to ensure freshness and quality.
How to make it:
Simple add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk together until no clumps remain and all ingredients are well combined.
How to use it:
This dry spice rub is great on beef briskets and beef ribs, pork ribs, whole chicken, cuts of chicken and more. Rub the blend on the meat, then barbecue on the grill or in the smoker.
How to store it:
If you’re not using the dry rub immediately, transfer it to an airtight container, such as a glass jar. Store in a cool and dry place away from light, for example in a kitchen cabinet.
How spicy is this rub?
This rub is pretty spicy!
More delicious dry rubs with chipotle powder:
- Cuban-Inspired Spice Rub Recipe5 Minutes
- Dry Rub for Chuck Roast (Oven)5 Minutes
- Mexican Dry Rub for Chicken5 Minutes
- Chipotle Lime Seasoning24 Hours 5 Minutes
See all dry rub recipes→
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thank you!
Full Printable Recipe
Chipotle BBQ Dry Rub
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk together until well combined. Rub on chicken, beef or pork.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.
Leave a Comment