This quick and easy, one-pot chicken paprika soup is a great way to stretch that last bit of leftover rotisserie chicken meat into another full meal. The soup is full of flavor from mushrooms, egg noodles, ultra-tender chicken and, of course, paprika.
This hearty soup is based on the traditional Hungarian stew-like dish called chicken paprikash. It’s made with paprikash’s signature ingredients, like chicken, paprika and sour cream, and combines them into a delicious soup.
Even though this soup is inspired by Hungarian cuisine, I don’t use Hungarian paprika but rather (Spanish) smoked paprika for it. I find that the smokiness adds great flavor and works really well with the mushrooms and the chicken.
Ingredient notes & substitutions:
- You can use hot smoked paprika or mild (sweet) smoked paprika for this soup.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Saute the onion.
Step 2. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
Step 3. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Step 4. Stir in the noodles and cook.
Step 5. Stir in paprika and chicken and continue to cook until the noodles are soft.
Step 6. Let the soup cool for a minute, then stir in sour cream and serve.
More delicious soup recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Chicken Paprika Soup (with Leftover Rotisserie Chicken)
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- kitchen scale
- Dutch oven with lid
- wooden spoon
- 1 tablespoon mild olive oil
- ⅓ cup finely diced yellow onion, (you need between ⅓ and ½ of a small onion for that)
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered, stems removed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (I like to use hot smoked paprika for a spicy soup but you can use mild (sweet), if you like.)
- 1 cup shredded meat from a rotisserie chicken*
- 3 tablespoons full-fat sour cream
- Heat the olive oil in the Dutch oven until shimmering.
- Add onion and saute until starting to soften (2 to 3 minutes).
- Add mushrooms and cook uncovered, stirring often, until soft (about 4 minutes).
- Stir in the chicken broth, put on the lid and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the egg noodles. Put the lid back on and and cook the soup, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika and the chicken and continue to cook the soup until the noodles are soft (about another 2 to 3 minutes).
- Turn the heat off and let the soup cool for 1 minute, then stir in the sour cream and serve.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.
Leave a Comment