Moist, buttery and full of warm, aromatic chai spices, this rum raisin bundt cake has cozy and delicious fall flavors in every slice. The batter is flavored with warm chai spices and mixed with rum raisins. To finish, the fragrant baked bundt cake is drizzled with a sweet rum glaze.
Cake batter ingredients and notes:
The batter for this rum raisin cake is made with rum-soaked raisins, butter, eggs, sugar, milk, sour cream and the following dry ingredients:
- almond flour (use blanched almond flour, which has the dark almond skin removed)
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- chai spice
What is chai spice?
Chai spice is a blend of different spices that usually includes cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and clove. A few other spices of choice, such as black pepper or fennel seeds, are sometimes mixed in as well.
The word chai simply means tea and what is usually called chai in the U.S. is actually masala chai (spiced tea). The spices that are used in masala chai make up the chai spice blend.
Rum glaze ingredients and notes:
The rum glaze for this cake is made with powdered sugar and rum.
- You can use light or dark rum for this recipe.
- Exactly how much rum you need for the glaze will depend on the humidity in your kitchen. Start with 1 tablespoon, then add more until you have a slow-moving glaze.
How to make the cake:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 6-cup bundt pan well, then sift flour into it and shake out the excess.
Step 2. Add raisins and rum to a small saucepan.
Step 3. Briefly bring the rum to a boil, then turn the heat off and let the raisins cool and soak.
Step 4. Next, whisk all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Step 5. Set the dry ingredients aside and in a large mixing bowl, whip together butter and sugar.
Step 6. Whip in the eggs, then set the batter aside for a moment.
Step 7. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and milk.
Step 8. With the mixer running, gradually whip the dry ingredients and the milk/sour cream mix into the cake batter. (Alternate between the two and start with the dry ingredients.)
Step 9. Drain the soaked rum raisins and stir them into the batter.
Step 10. Transfer the batter into the pan and bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (about 45 minutes). Let the cake cool on a wire rack, then unmold. Whisk together the glaze and drizzle on the cake.
Can I freeze this cake?
Yes, this cake freezes very well. Transfer the unglazed cake into a freezer bag (either whole or cut into quarters) and put in the freezer. Let thaw at room temperature, then glaze.
More delicious cake recipes:
- Chocolate Bourbon Cake1 Hours 10 Minutes
- Lemon Goat Cheese Cheesecake with Rosemary Caramel7 Hours 50 Minutes
- Lemon Cardamom Cake1 Hours 15 Minutes
- Mini Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Mousse Frosting8 Hours 25 Minutes
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Rum Raisin Bundt Cake with Chai Spices
- 6-cup bundt cake pan
- measuring cups and spoons
- small saucepan
- mixing bowls
- standing mixer or handheld mixer
- rubber spatula
For the cake:
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup rum*
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour, more for dusting the pan
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground clove
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup full-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
For the glaze:
- 10 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons rum
For the cake:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously grease a 6-cup Bundt pan, dust with flour and shake out the excess. Set aside.
- Add raisins and rum into a small saucepan. Bring the mix to a boil, then turn the heat off and set aside to cool.
- Whisk almond flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Whip butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy.
- Whip in the eggs. Set aside.
- Whisk the sour cream and the milk together in a bowl.
- Whip the dry ingredients and the milk/sour cream mix into the cake batter in two to three batches. (Alternate between the two and start with the dry ingredients.) Continue to whip the batter until it is smooth.
- Drain the raisins and mix them into the batter by hand.
- Fill the batter into the Bundt cake pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean (~45 minutes).
- Let the cake cool, then release it from the pan.
For the glaze:
- Whisk the powdered sugar with the rum, then pour on the cake. (Start with 1 tablespoon rum, then add more until you have a slow-flowing glaze.)
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.