Last Updated on
This chai-spiced rum raisin bundt cake has it all: warm and delicious chai spices, a rum raisin filling and a sugary rum glaze.
This post was originally published on Oct. 14, 2015.
This delicious cake is flavored with a warm and comforting chai spice blend (I used cinnamon, cardamom, clove, ginger and black pepper) along with rum-soaked raisins. The glaze is a mix of powdered sugar and rum.
How to make chai–spiced rum raisin bundt cake:
This recipe starts with the rum raisins: add 1/2 cup raisins and 1/4 cup rum to a small saucepan, briefly bring the mix to a boil, then turn the heat off and let the raisins cool and soak.
While the raisins are soaking up the rum, heat the oven to 350 degrees F. and prepare a 6-cup bundt pan by greasing and flouring it.
Next you move on to your dry ingredients: whisk together 1/2 cup almond meal, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the spices (1/2 teaspoon ground ginger,1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/2 teaspoon ground clove, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper).
Set the dry ingredients aside and in a large mixing bowl, beat together 8 tablespoons softened, unsalted butter and 3/4 cup granulated sugar.
Beat in 3 eggs and then the dry ingredients.
Drain the soaked rum raisins and stir them into the batter.
Transfer the batter into the pan and bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (about 35 minutes).
Let the cake cool on a wire rack, then use a small rubber spatula to loosen it around the edges of the bundt pan and unmold. Drizzle the cake with the rum/powdered sugar glaze.
What to do if the cake sticks to the bundt pan?
If you’re having trouble getting the cake out of the pan, stick it in the freezer for about 15 minutes, that will make it easier to release. (I learned this nifty trick from Handle the Heat).
Can you freeze this bundt cake?
Yes, you can easily freeze this bundt cake, just transfer it into a ziploc bag (either whole or cut into quarters) before glazing and put it in the freezer.
More delicious cake recipes:
- Caramel Almond Cake
- Chocolate Bourbon Cake
- Goat Cheese Cheesecake with Rosemary Caramel
- Lemon Cardamom Bundt Cakes
- Lemon Cardamom Cake
- Pumpkin Spice White Chocolate Mousse Hazelnut Mini Cakes
Chai-Spiced Rum Raisin Bundt Cake
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
For the glaze:
- 10 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons rum
For the cake:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously grease a 6-cup Bundt pan, dust with flour and shake out the excess. Set aside.
- Put raisins and rum into a small saucepan, bring the mix to a boil, then turn the heat off and set aside to cool.
- Whisk almond meal, flour, baking powder, salt and spices together in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Beat in the dry ingredients and continue to beat until you have a creamy, smooth batter.
- Drain the raisins and mix them into the batter.
- Fill the batter into the Bundt cake pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean (35-40 minutes).
- Let the cake cool, then release it from the pan.*
For the glaze:
- Whisk the powdered sugar with the rum, then pour onto the cake.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: