Moist, buttery and full of warm, aromatic chai spices, this rum raisin cake makes a great treat for a crisp fall afternoon.
Why make this recipe?
This chai-spiced rum raisin bundt cake has all the cozy and delicious fall flavors in every slice. The batter is spiced with warm chai spices and mixed with rum raisins and the fragrant, baked bundt cake is drizzled with a sweet rum glaze.
For the cake batter:
Cake batter ingredient notes:
- the dry ingredients are:
- almond flour – use blanched almond flour, which has the dark almond skin removed
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- chai spices
The chai spices:
For the glaze:
How to make the cake:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 6-cup bundt pan well, then sift flour into it and shake out the excess.
Step 2. Add raisins and rum to a small saucepan.
Step 3. Briefly bring the rum to a boil, then turn the heat off and let the raisins cool and soak.
Step 4. Next, whisk all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Step 5. Set the dry ingredients aside and in a large mixing bowl, whip together butter and sugar.
Step 6. Whip in the eggs, then set the batter aside for a moment.
Step 7. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and milk.
Step 8. With the mixer running, gradually whip the dry ingredients and the milk/sour cream mix into the cake batter, alternating between the two and starting with the dry ingredients.
Step 9. Drain the soaked rum raisins and stir them into the batter.
Step 10. Transfer the batter into the pan and bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (about 45 minutes). Let the cake cool on a wire rack, then unmold.
Make the glaze:
Step 11. Whisk together powdered sugar and rum, then drizzle on the cake.
Recipe notes & tips:
- Exactly how much rum you need for the glaze will depend on the humidity in your kitchen. Start with 1 tablespoon, then add more until you have a slow-moving glaze.
Frequently asked questions:
Yes, this cake freezes very well. Transfer the unglazed cake into a freezer bag (either whole or cut into quarters) and put in the freezer. Let thaw at room temperature, then glaze.
You can use light or dark rum for this recipe.
Sure! You can leave out the chai spices from this recipe (ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, clove and black pepper) and use 2 ½ teaspoons of a store-bought chai spice blend instead.
More delicious cake recipes:
See all cakes, bakes & frostings →
Did you make this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Chai-Spiced Rum Raisin Bundt Cake
- 6-cup bundt cake pan
- measuring cups and spoons
- small saucepan
- mixing bowls
- standing mixer or handheld mixer
- rubber spatula
For the cake:
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup rum*
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour, more for dusting the pan
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground clove
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
For the glaze:
- 10 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons rum
For the cake:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously grease a 6-cup Bundt pan, dust with flour and shake out the excess. Set aside.
- Add raisins and rum into a small saucepan, bring the mix to a boil, then turn the heat off and set aside to cool.
- Whisk almond flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices together in a bowl and set aside.
- Whip butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy.
- Whip in the eggs. Set aside.
- Whisk the sour cream and the milk together in a bowl.
- Whip the dry ingredients and the milk/sour cream mix into the cake batter in two to three batches, alternating between the two and starting with the dry ingredients. Continue to whip the batter until it is smooth.
- Drain the raisins and mix them into the batter by hand.
- Fill the batter into the Bundt cake pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean (~45 minutes).
- Let the cake cool, then release it from the pan.
For the glaze:
- Whisk the powdered sugar with the rum, then pour on the cake. (Start with 1 tablespoon rum, then add more until you have a slow-flowing glaze.)