Last Updated on
These cardamom meringue cookies are light, crunchy, sweet, citrusy and minty all in one bite. The touch of ground cardamom adds a new and delicious twist to the classic. The recipe is easy to make and a great way to use up leftover egg whites.
This post was originally published on Aug. 18, 2015.
How to make cardamom meringue cookies:
Step 1. Heat your oven to 250 degrees F., then add 3 egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom to a clean mixing bowl. (The reason why you need to make sure that your bowl and beaters are clean is because any fat of any sort will mess up the formation of the meringue.)
RECIPE TIP: Be sure to use a fairly narrow bowl so that your beaters fill out most of its volume (as you can see in the second process photo below). If your bowl is much wider than the space that your beaters occupy, it becomes difficult to get the egg whites to stiff peaks.
Whip the mix with your standing or electric mixer until the egg whites get frothy.
Step 2. Slowly add 2/3 cup granulated sugar and continue to beat until all the sugar is incorporated and you have firm, glossy peaks.
Step 3. Grab a piping bag and a tip of your choice (the 1M or the French tip work well here) and pipe about 40 cookies (each about 1 inch in diameter) onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Step 4. Bake the cookies for 40 minutes, then turn the oven off and without opening the oven door, let the cookies cool in the closed oven for another hour.
More desserts with cardamom:
- Baked Cardamom Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
- Raspberry Apple Crisp
- Lemon Cardamom Cake
- Mini Lemon Bundt Cakes with Cardamom
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Cardamom Meringue Cookies
- 3 egg whites*
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Add egg whites, cream of tartar and cardamom to a bowl** and beat until frothy.
- Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat, until you have glossy, firm peaks.
- Pipe small dollops (about 1 inch in diameter) onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and without opening the oven door, let the meringue cookies sit for another 60 minutes.
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: