Last Updated on
These delicious cardamom meringue cookies are light, crunchy, sweet, citrusy and minty all in one bite. The touch of ground cardamom adds a new and delicious twist to the classic. The recipe is easy to make with just four ingredients.
I found myself with a big bowl of egg whites again the other day (do you have that problem too? I always seem to use many more yolks than whites…) and figured I’d whip them into some pretty meringue cookies. But not just any old meringue cookies, I wanted to flavor this canvas with something more exciting than vanilla (no offense) and chose half a teaspoon of finely ground cardamom.
I didn’t exactly know what to expect but I’m happy to report that the result was awesome. Light and crunchy, sweet, citrusy and minty, all in one bite.
How to make cardamom meringue cookies:
These cookies are very easy to make and all you need is egg whites, cream of tartar, ground cardamom and granulated sugar.
You start by adding 3 egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom into a clean bowl and start to beat with your standing or electric mixer until the whites get frothy. (The reason why you need to make sure that you bowl (and beaters) are clean is that any fat of any sort will mess up the formation of the meringue.)
Next you start to slowly add 2/3 cup granulated sugar and continue to beat the whole time until all the sugar is incorporated and you have firm, glossy peaks.
Now you grab a piping bag and a tip of your choice (the 1M or the French tip work well here) and pipe dollops onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake the cookies for 40 minutes, then turn the oven off and let the cookies cool in the closed oven for another hour.
More delicious desserts with cardamom:
- Cardamom Donuts with Cinnamon Sugar
- Raspberry Apple Crisp
- Lemon Cardamom Cake
- Lemon Cardamom Bundt Cakes
Cardamom Meringue Cookies
- 3 egg whites*
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Add egg whites, cream of tartar and cardamom to a bowl and beat until frothy.
- Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat, until you have glossy, firm peaks.
- Pipe small dollops (about 2 inches in diameter) onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and, without opening the oven door, let the meringue cookies sit for another 60 minutes.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: