These cardamom meringue cookies are light, crunchy, sweet, citrusy and minty all in one bite. The touch of ground cardamom adds a new and delicious twist to the classic. The recipe is easy to make and a great way to use up leftover egg whites.
Recipe notes & tips:
- Please make sure that the mixing bowl and beaters you are using are very clean. That is because any fat will mess up the formation of the meringue.
- Be sure to use a fairly narrow mixing bowl to make the meringue in. You want the beaters to fill out most of its volume (as shown in the photo for step 2 below.) If your bowl is much wider than the space that your beaters occupy, it becomes difficult to get the egg whites to stiff peaks.
How to make the cookies:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Heat the oven to 250 degrees F., then add egg whites, cream of tartar and cardamom to a very clean mixing bowl. Whip the mix with your standing or electric mixer until the egg whites get frothy.
Step 2. Slowly add the sugar and continue to whip until all the sugar is incorporated and you have firm, glossy peaks.
Step 3. Grab a piping bag and a tip of your choice (I like to use a 1M or a French tip). Pipe about 40 cookies (each about 1 inch in diameter) onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
Step 4. Bake the cookies for 40 minutes. Turn the oven off and without opening the oven door, let the cookies cool in the closed oven for another hour.
More delicious cardamom sweets:
- Baked Cinnamon Cardamom Donuts25 Minutes
- Lemon Cardamom Cake1 Hours 15 Minutes
- Apple Frangipane Tart with Cranberries, Orange and Cardamom1 Hours 20 Minutes
- Seedless Blackberry Sauce with Cardamom (for Cheesecake and Waffles)15 Minutes
See all cardamom recipes →
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Cardamom Meringue Cookies
- measuring cups and spoons
- narrow mixing bowl
- standing mixer or handheld mixer
- piping bag with tip (a 1M or a French tip work well)
- parchment paper
- baking sheet
- 3 egg whites*
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Add egg whites, cream of tartar and cardamom to a bowl** and whip until frothy.
- Gradually add the sugar, continuing to whip, until you have glossy, firm peaks.
- Pipe small dollops (about 1 inch in diameter) onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and without opening the oven door, let the meringue cookies sit for another 60 minutes.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.