These cardamom meringue cookies are light, crunchy, sweet, citrusy and minty all in one bite. The touch of ground cardamom adds a new and delicious twist to the classic. The recipe is easy to make and a great way to use up leftover egg whites.
How to make the cookies:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Heat the oven to 250 degrees F., then add egg whites, cream of tartar and cardamom to a very clean mixing bowl. Whip the mix with your standing or electric mixer until the egg whites get frothy.
Step 2. Slowly add the sugar and continue to whip until all the sugar is incorporated and you have firm, glossy peaks.
Step 3. Grab a piping bag and a tip of your choice (I like to use a 1M or a French tip) and pipe about 40 cookies (each about 1 inch in diameter) onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
Step 4. Bake the cookies for 40 minutes, then turn the oven off and without opening the oven door, let the cookies cool in the closed oven for another hour.
Recipe notes & tips:
- The reason why you need to make sure that your mixing bowl and beaters are very clean is because any fat of any sort will mess up the formation of the meringue.
- Be sure to use a fairly narrow mixing bowl to make the meringue in. You want the beaters to fill out most of its volume (as shown in the photo for step 2.) If your bowl is much wider than the space that your beaters occupy, it becomes difficult to get the egg whites to stiff peaks.
More delicious cardamom sweets:
See all cardamom recipes ->
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Cardamom Meringue Cookies
- 3 egg whites*
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Add egg whites, cream of tartar and cardamom to a bowl** and whip until frothy.
- Gradually add the sugar, continuing to whip, until you have glossy, firm peaks.
- Pipe small dollops (about 1 inch in diameter) onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and without opening the oven door, let the meringue cookies sit for another 60 minutes.