This easy summer bruschetta tilapia is full of the fresh and light traditional bruschetta flavors plus extra substance and deliciousness from tilapia fillets. The bruschetta topping is a mix of crispy panko bread crumbs that are moistened with olive oil and then mixed with diced fresh tomato and fresh basil. All of that deliciousness is spooned on top of tilapia fillets and baked until the fish is cooked and the topping browned.
Recipe ingredients and notes:
Please be sure to use panko and not regular bread crumbs for this dish. The crispiness of panko is very important here. (For more delicious things to do with panko, check out this breaded lemon pepper chicken and these ground chicken nuggets!)
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Quarter and core a tomato.
Step 2. Dice the tomato.
Step 3. Mix panko with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Step 4. Stir in tomato and basil.
Step 5. Set tilapia onto an oiled baking sheet and top with the bread crumb mix.
Step 6. Bake until the fish is cooked through.
How to serve it:
I recommend serving this dish with rice, salad or with roasted basil potatoes.
How to store it:
If you have fully baked, bruschetta-topped tilapia left over, wrap it in aluminum foil or transfer into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 1 day. Reheat in the oven until warmed through.
More delicious recipes for tilapia:
- Dill Aioli10 Minutes
- Lemon Dill Seasoning Recipe24 Hours 10 Minutes
- Dipping Sauce for Tilapia (Dipping Sauce for Fried Fish)5 Minutes
- Curried Corn with Basil and Coconut Milk (with frozen corn)20 Minutes
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
- measuring spoons
- knife and cutting board
- mixing bowl
- small baking sheet
- paper towel
- 1 ripe tomato
- 6 tablespoons panko bread crumbs*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, more for brushing the baking sheet
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil (you need about 1 cup of basil leaves for that)
- 2 tilapia fillets (about 4 ounces each)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. and position an oven rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Quarter, core and dice the tomato. Set aside.
- Using a fork, mix panko, olive oil, salt and pepper together in a bowl until well combined.
- Stir in basil and tomato.
- Brush a small baking sheet with olive oil.
- Pat the tilapia fillets dry with a paper towel, then set them on the oiled baking sheet.
- Spoon the bread crumb mix on top of the fillets.
- Bake until the bread crumbs are starting to brown and the fish is cooked through and flaky in the center (about 12 minutes).
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.