This broccoli cauliflower ground beef casserole has it all: flavorful beef, three different vegetables, a creamy, spicy sauce and a crispy, melty, cheesy topping. The recipe was inspired by the flavors of this Buffalo beef dip that is spiced with smoked hot paprika and Louisiana hot sauce.
For more creamy, smoky and meaty broccoli recipes also check out this easy broccoli soup with Italian sausage and this ground beef pasta sauce!
- This casserole recipe has three different vegetables: cauliflower, broccoli and potato. Rather than going through the trouble of preparing raw potatoes, you use store-bought shredded hash browns from the freezer section of the grocery store.
- I recommend Louisiana hot sauce for this recipe. It’s got great flavor and a nice tanginess that really makes the creamy sauce for this casserole pop.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Cook and season the beef.
Step 2. Steam broccoli and cauliflower.
Step 3. Pre-bake the frozen hash browns.
Step 4. Whip cream cheese with sour cream, egg, heavy cream and hot sauce.
Step 5. Add beef, vegetables and cheddar to a large mixing bowl.
Step 6. Pour in the sauce and mix well. Fill into a casserole pan, top with more cheddar and bake.
How to serve it:
Serve the casserole hot either by itself or with a green salad.
How to store leftovers:
Store leftovers casserole either in the baking dish covered with plastic wrap or in any other airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
How to freeze it:
Let the casserole cool to room temperature, then transfer to a freezer bag and freeze. Let thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat in the oven at 350 degrees F.
More delicious creamy comfort food recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thank you!
Full Printable Recipe
Broccoli Cauliflower Ground Beef Casserole
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- cheese grater
- steamer basket
- rubber spatula
- baking sheet
- medium-sized mixing bowl
- standing mixer or electric mixer
- large mixing bowl
- baking dish (8 inch by 8 inch by 2 ¼ inch)
For the beef:
- ½ tablespoon mild olive oil
- ⅓ cup minced white or yellow onion (you should need a little less than ½ of a small onion for that)
- ¾ pound lean ground beef
- ⅜ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅜ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- ⅜ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the broccoli and the cauliflower:
- 4 ounces small broccoli florets (about 2 cups)
- 5 ounces small cauliflower florets (about 1 ¾ cups)
For the hash browns:
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash browns (about 5 ½ ounces)
For the sauce:
- 8 ounces full-fat block cream cheese,* softened
- ½ cup full-fat sour cream*
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons hot sauce, such as Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 ¼ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided into ¾ cup and ½ cup
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. and start heating a pot with water and a steamer basket in it. Meanwhile, cook the beef.
Cook the beef:
- Heat the oil in a skillet until shimmering.
- Add onion and cook until starting to soften (about 2 minutes).
- Add the beef and cook until no longer pink (about 6 minutes).
- Pour off all grease, then stir onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper into the cooked beef. Set aside.
Steam broccoli and cauliflower:
- Once the water in the pot is hot, steam broccoli and cauliflower florets to desired doneness. Set aside.
Pre-bake the hash browns:
- Once the oven is preheated, spread the frozen hash browns out on a lightly oiled baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake until hot and just starting to brown on the edges (about 12 minutes). Stir around once halfway through the baking time. Keep the oven running at 400 degrees F.
Make the sauce:
- Add cream cheese and sour cream to a bowl and whip with an electric mixer until combined.
- Whip in the egg, then the cream, then the hot sauce. Set aside.
Prepare the casserole:
- Add beef, broccoli, cauliflower, hash browns and ¾ cups of the cheddar to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in the sauce and mix well. Transfer to a baking dish and top with the remaining cheddar. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cheese on top is fully melted (25 to 30 min.) Let cool for a few minutes, then serve.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.
Leave a Comment