The classic Bourbon milk punch – creamy, boozy, sweet and delicious. It’s the perfect cocktail for a Holiday party!
Why make this recipe?
If you like cocktails with heavy cream I think you’ll love this punch. It’s rich but not overly so because the deep and complex flavors of the Bourbon cut through the cream. It has just the right amount of sweetness to balance the Bourbon, and the vanilla and nutmeg flavors come through nicely.
What’s in Bourbon milk punch?
Bourbon milk punch is made with Bourbon, milk and/or cream, flavorings and is sweetened with simple syrup.
Ingredient notes & substitutions:
- whole milk – be sure to use whole milk and not any reduced fat milk, you do need the fat in this drink.
- simple syrup – a simple syrup is a mix of equal parts (by volume) of granulated sugar and water. (For example 1 cup sugar plus 1 cup water.) Heat the mix until all the sugar is dissolved, then let it cool.
- nutmeg – the nutmeg is optional, you can leave it out if you like.
Recipe notes & tips:
- Be sure to add the ingredients in this recipe in the order in which they are listed. That way you can be sure that the drink won’t curdle.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
It’s super simple to make a Bourbon milk punch:
Mix whole milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract and simple syrup together in a container you can easily pour from. (I like to use a liquid measuring cup.) Then stir in the Bourbon.
Frequently asked questions:
Bourbon milk punch is a sweet cream cocktail made with milk, cream, vanilla extract, sugar, nutmeg and Bourbon.
Apparently, the punch has been around for centuries and the general idea of it may have originated in Scotland in the 1600s.
Despite the fact that the word “Bourbon” is in the name, the punch is sometimes made with brandy instead of Bourbon.
No. As long as you follow the steps for this recipe in the order in which they are listed, the dairy will not curdle. If you were to add the Bourbon before mixing everything else, you would run the risk of curdling the drink.
Pour the punch over ice and sprinkle with grated nutmeg.
Bourbon milk punch may look wintery but it actually works well any time of the year. Because the drink is served on ice, it’s quite refreshing on a hot summer evening. But it’s equally great for a winter Holiday party!
More delicious cream cocktails:
- Chai White Russian12 Hours 10 Minutes
- Spiced Eggnog45 Minutes
- Spiced Irish Coffee10 Minutes
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Bourbon Milk Punch
- measuring cup and spoons
- liquid measuring cup
- small pot
- nutmeg grater
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons simple syrup*
- 5 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- Mix milk, cream, vanilla and syrup together.
- Mix in the Bourbon, then pour over ice.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg (optional).
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.
Angela - Patisserie Makes Perfect
So gorgeous Nicole, I love creamy cocktails like this. White Russians and brandy alexanders are two of my favourite drinks!
This looks really similar to a brandy alexander. I love the colour in this photo it’s great.
Thank you, Angela! It is very similar to a Brandy Alexander, some recipes are actually identical but I’ve also seen a few that add creme de cacao to the Alexander. (Need to get a bottle of creme de cacao, I’ve never had it but sounds delicious). :)