The classic Bourbon milk punch – creamy, boozy, sweet and delicious! Looks like a winter drink but is great and refreshing any time of the year.
Why make this recipe?
If you like cocktails with heavy cream I think you’ll love this punch. It’s rich but not overly so because the deep and complex flavors of the Bourbon cut through the cream. It has just the right amount of sweetness to balance the Bourbon and the vanilla and nutmeg flavors come through nicely.
Ingredient notes & substitutions:
- whole milk – be sure to use whole milk and not any reduced fat milk, you do need the fat in this drink.
- simple syrup – a simple syrup is a mix of equal parts (by volume) of granulated sugar and water; for example 1 cup sugar plus 1 cup water. Heat the mix until all the sugar is dissolved, then let it cool.
- nutmeg – the nutmeg is optional, you can leave it out if you like.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
It’s super simple to make a Bourbon milk punch:
- Mix whole milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract and simple syrup together in a container you can easily pour from, such as a liquid measuring cup. Then stir in the Bourbon.
Recipe notes & tips:
- Be sure to add the ingredients in this recipe in the order in which they are listed. That way you can be sure that the drink won’t curdle.
Frequently asked questions:
The Bourbon milk punch is a creamy, sweet and boozy dessert drink made with milk, cream, vanilla extract, sugar, nutmeg and, yes, Bourbon.
Apparently, the punch has been around for centuries and the general idea of it may have originated in Scotland in the 1600s.
Despite the fact that the word “Bourbon” is in the name, the punch is sometimes made with brandy instead, so if you prefer brandy over Bourbon, go for that!
No, as long as you follow the steps for this recipe in the order in which they are listed, the dairy will not curdle. If you were to add the Bourbon before mixing everything else, you would run the risk of curdling the drink.
Pour the punch over ice and sprinkle with grated nutmeg.
Bourbon milk punch may look wintery but it actually works well any time of the year. Because the drink is served on ice, it’s quite refreshing on a hot summer evening but it’s equally great for a winter Holiday party.
More delicious drinks with heavy cream:
More delicious drink recipes →
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Join our mailing list to get all the latest recipes sent to your inbox!
Full Printable Recipe
Bourbon Milk Punch
- measuring cup and spoons
- liquid measuring cup
- small pot
- nutmeg grater
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons simple syrup*
- 5 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- Mix milk, cream, vanilla and syrup together.
- Mix in the Bourbon, then pour over ice.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg (optional).