These Bourbon balls are as delicious as they are potent. They are made with a sweet Bourbon buttercream that’s briefly put in the freezer and then rolled in chopped pecans. A drizzle of bittersweet chocolate is optional.
If you love Bourbon desserts you might also enjoy these Espresso Bourbon Truffles.
How to make Bourbon balls:
Step 1. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar and 8 tablespoons softened, unsalted butter.
Step 2. Whip the mix with an electric mixer until creamy.
Step 3. Add 3 tablespoons of Bourbon and continue to whip well until smooth. (Don’t worry if the buttercream breaks in this step, it will work just fine once it’s chilled). Cover the bowl and put the mix in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Step 4. Line two small baking sheets with aluminum foil and scoop the bourbon balls with a 2-teaspoon metal scoop onto the foil. Place in the freezer for ten minutes.
RECIPE NOTE 1: I suggest to stick with a 2-teaspoon volume for the scoop because anything bigger than that is just too overwhelming.
RECIPE NOTE 2: The buttercream is not very firm and needs to be kept cold at all times so you definitely want to use a metal scoop; you will not be able to roll the balls in your hand.
Step 5. Quickly roll the balls in 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, then transfer them immediately to the fridge.
Step 6. If you choose, melt 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water and drizzle it over the nut-covered bourbon balls or roll them in cocoa powder.
How to store Bourbon balls:
Keep the Bourbon balls cold at all times and only take them out of the refrigerator right before serving.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons Bourbon
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- cocoa powder, optional
- 1 ½ ounces bittersweet chocolate, optional*
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add Bourbon and continue to beat until well incorporated. (Don’t worry if the mix breaks, it will work just fine after chilling).
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Line two small baking sheets with aluminum foil and scoop little balls onto the sheets using a 2-teaspoon scoop.**
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Roll the balls in the chopped pecans and transfer to the refrigerator.
- If using, roll the nut-covered balls in cocoa powder OR melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water and drizzle over the bourbon balls.
- Keep the balls refrigerated at all times and serve very cold.