Last Updated on
These Bourbon balls are as delicious as they are potent. They are made with a sweet Bourbon buttercream that’s briefly put in the freezer and then rolled in chopped pecans. A drizzle of bittersweet chocolate is optional.
This post was originally published on Jan. 14, 2015.
How to make Bourbon balls:
This recipe starts with 8 tablespoons of softened, unsalted butter. Cut it up into pieces, then add 1.25 cups of powdered sugar and beat the mix with an electric mixer until creamy.
Next add 3 tablespoons of Bourbon and continue to beat well until smooth. (Don’t worry if the buttercream breaks in this step, it will work just fine once it’s chilled). Cover the bowl and put the mix in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Line two small baking sheets with aluminum foil and scoop the bourbon balls with a 2-teaspoon metal scoop onto the foil. Place in the freezer for ten minutes.
To finish the balls, quickly roll them in chopped pecans. You can also melt and drizzle bittersweet chocolate over the nut-covered balls or roll them in cocoa powder but I find that they are already very good without either.
Bourbon balls recipe tips:
- The buttercream is not very firm and needs to be kept cold at all times so you definitely want to use a metal scoop; you will not be able to roll the balls in your hand.
- I suggest to stick with a 2-teaspoon volume for the scoop because anything bigger than that is just too overwhelming.
Love Bourbon desserts? You might also enjoy these Espresso Bourbon Truffles:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1.25 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- cocoa powder, optional
- 1.5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, optional*
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add Bourbon and continue to beat until well incorporated. (Don't worry if the mix breaks, it will work just fine after chilling).
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Line two small baking sheets with aluminum foil and scoop little balls onto the sheets using a 2-teaspoon scoop.**
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Roll the balls in the chopped pecans and transfer to the refrigerator.
- If using, roll the nut-covered balls in cocoa powder OR melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water and drizzle over the bourbon balls.
- Keep the balls refrigerated at all times and serve very cold.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: