Last Updated on
In addition to beer, butter, bacon and cream this incredibly delicious beer cheddar soup is flavored with smoked and sharp cheddar, Hungarian paprika, celery, onion, jalapeno, garlic and thyme. It’s one of the best soups ever.
If your arteries are too wide I suggest you eat this beer cheddar soup every day for a month. In all other cases please look at it as a treat that should only be indulged in occasionally. Beer, butter, bacon, cheese and cream – it’s all in here, and unsurprisingly it’s fantastic.
The recipe comes from chef Jonathan Erdeljac and I found it in Food & Wine magazine a while ago. I’ve cooked it several times and made one slight modification the last time: I added one teaspoon of Hungarian paprika along with the celery, onion, jalapeño, garlic and thyme. The soup is already outstanding without it but if you like a little extra spice and sharpness, add the paprika.
More delicious hearty soups and stews:
- Chunky Chili
- Chicken and Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
- Chicken Andouille Gumbo
- Nutmeg Gnocchi with Mushrooms or Cinnamon Clove Beef Stroganoff
- Spicy Tomato Chicken Noodle Soup
Beer Cheddar Soup
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 bottle lager or pilsner beer, 12 ounces
- 2.25 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar, shredded
- 4 ounces smoked cheddar, shredded
- Head on over to Food & Wine magazine for the instructions. Add the paprika with the celery, onion, jalapeño, garlic and thyme.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: