This apple cider green bean side dish is both sweet and savory and works great with roasted poultry. It’s easily made with chicken broth, onion, dried thyme and apple cider.
A few ingredient notes:
- If apple cider is not available, you can substitute a good-quality apple juice.
- You can use French-cut (thinly sliced) green beans or whole green beans for this recipe. (Whole green beans will take a little longer to steam.)
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Steam frozen green beans until tender.
Step 2. Saute diced onion in melted butter.
Step 3. Add chicken broth, apple cider and reduce.
Step 4. Stir in dried thyme and season to taste with salt.
How to serve it:
This dish goes very well with roasted poultry and makes a great side for a Thanksgiving dinner.
More delicious side dishes:
See more side dish recipes →
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Green Bean Side Dish with Apple Cider and Thyme
- 8 ounces frozen green beans
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup apple cider*
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
- salt, to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and steam the beans until tender (8 to 10 minutes).
- While the beans are steaming, melt the butter in saucepan.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the broth and the apple cider.
- Cook on high heat until the liquid is reduced to a thick and syrupy consistency (10 to 12 minutes).
- Stir the thyme into the sauce, then season with salt to taste.
- Toss the beans with the sauce and serve.