Last Updated on
This gourmet almond orange mousse with anise has a delicious, complex and sophisticated flavor but the recipe is very easy to make. The almond, orange and anise flavors play wonderful together and make this mousse the perfect finish for an elegant dinner.
I got the idea for this flavor combination from a biscotti recipe I saw recently. While I am not a big fan of biscotti I did like the sound of almond, orange and anise together so I used them in this dessert. It’s a very creamy, light and fluffy mousse that is a perfect finish for a gourmet dinner.
I built the mousse on an egg yolk and sugar base that I flavored with orange zest, almond extract and ground anise seeds. After that I folded in whipped cream and whipped egg whites and stiffened the whole thing with gelatin.
It’s a dessert that tastes like a lot of work went into it but in reality it’s very easy to make and just about impossible to mess up.
I suggest you eat it by taking a bite out of an orange slice, then follow up with a spoonful of mousse and repeat.
How to make this almond orange mousse with anise:
You start this recipe by whipping egg whites to stiff peaks and put them in the fridge. Next you whip heavy cream with a bit of sugar and put the whipped cream in the fridge as well. You will use both of these components later.
Now you get to the actual base for the mousse. You add powdered gelatin to a bit of cold water and while the gelatin is blooming you whisk egg yolks with sugar, orange zest, almond extract and ground anise together in a bowl by hand.
Once your egg yolk/sugar mix is light and fluffy the gelatin will be ready so you briefly heat it and then whisk it into the egg yolk mix. Next you fold in the whipped cream and then the whipped egg whites. Chill the mousse in the fridge until it’s fully set.
To serve, spoon the mousse onto plates, add a slice of orange and sprinkle with finely chopped almonds.
Love sweets with anise flavor? You might also enjoy this Star Anise Cranberry Sauce:
Almond Orange Mousse with Anise
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon ground anise
- orange slices
- finely chopped almonds
- Whip the two egg whites to stiff peaks. Put in the fridge.
- Whip the cream with 1 teaspoon sugar to stiff peaks. Put in the fridge.
- Add gelatin along with 3 tablespoons of cold water to a saucepan. Let sit for about 4 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks with 1/3 cup sugar, orange zest, almond extract and anise in a bowl until creamy.
- Heat the bloomed gelatin just until dissolved.
- Whisk the gelatin into the egg yolk mix.
- Fold in the cream.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Cover and chill in the fridge until set (about 1 hour).
- Scoop the cream onto individual plates and serve with orange slices and chopped almonds.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: