This easy ahi tuna rub adds just the right amount of zing to a delicious, meaty tuna steak. It's made with dry mustard, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and a touch of smoked paprika.
The dry rub has a nice sharpness from the mustard powder that contrasts nicely with the rich flavor of ahi tuna steaks. Smoked hot paprika is a background flavor in this rub that enhances the savory flavors of the herbs nicely.
For another delicious seafood spice rub also check out this seasoning for cod!
What's in the dry rub?
- dry mustard is also called mustard powder and refers to ground yellow mustard seeds.
How to make the rub:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
How to use it:
I recommend pan searing the spice-rubbed tuna steaks because the rub creates a delicious, flavorful crust that way.
- Heat vegetable oil in a cast iron pan until shimmering.
- Pat raw tuna steaks dry with paper towels, then rub with the seasoning and sear in the hot oil on both sides.
- Continue to cook to desired doneness.
- Serve the seared steaks hot.
How to store it:
If you're not planning on using the rub right away, transfer it into an airtight container and keep in a dark and cool place, such as the kitchen cabinet.
Is ahi tuna the same as yellowfin tuna?
Yes, ahi is an Hawaiian word that refers to two species of tuna: yellowfin tuna and bigeye tuna.
Is this dry rub spicy?
This dry rub has a sharp flavor but it is not actually spicy.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thank you!
Full Printable Recipe
Ahi Tuna Rub
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard*
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.