This easy ahi tuna rub adds just the right amount of zing to a delicious, meaty tuna steak. It’s made with dry mustard, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and a touch of smoked paprika.
The dry rub has a nice sharpness from the mustard powder that contrasts nicely with the rich flavor of ahi tuna steaks. Smoked hot paprika is a background flavor in this rub that enhances the savory flavors of the herbs nicely.
What’s in the dry rub?
- dry mustard is also called mustard powder and refers to ground yellow mustard seeds.
How to make the rub:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
How to use it:
I recommend pan searing the spice-rubbed tuna steaks because the rub creates a delicious, flavorful crust that way.
- Heat vegetable oil in a cast iron pan until shimmering.
- Pat raw tuna steaks dry with paper towels, then rub with the seasoning and sear in the hot oil on both sides.
- Continue to cook to desired doneness.
- Serve the seared steaks hot.
How to store it:
If you’re not planning on using the rub right away, transfer it into an airtight container and keep in a dark and cool place, such as the kitchen cabinet.
Is ahi tuna the same as yellowfin tuna?
Yes, ahi is an Hawaiian word that refers to two species of tuna: yellowfin tuna and bigeye tuna.
Is this dry rub spicy?
This dry rub has a sharp flavor but it is not actually spicy.
More delicious seafood dry rubs:
See all dry rub recipes →
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thank you!
Full Printable Recipe
Ahi Tuna Rub
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard*
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.