Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Espresso Milkshake with Coffee Liqueur

Why I love it: This drink has all my favorite dessert flavors packed into one jar: vanilla, chocolate, pumpkin spice, espresso and coffee liqueur. It’s easy to make and quite refreshing on a warm summer day.

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Espresso Milkshake with Coffee Liqueur

To license this image please contact me at nicole@thespicetrain.com.

Happy milkshake season! Nothing better than sitting outside after (or before) dinner and sip a cool, refreshing milkshake on a warm summer day, is there? Personally, I love a drink that surprises me with something different in every sip, which is why I only blended ice cream and milk together here but added all remaining components separately.

It’s a French vanilla ice cream mix that is layered with pumpkin spice chocolate ganache, a fresh shot of espresso and a shot (or more) of coffee liqueur. When you take a sip (or spoonful) you may get vanilla or espresso or chocolate or a pocket of liqueur, it’s a surprise every time. The pumpkin spice flavor (a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove, ginger and mace) is subtle but gives the shake a nice complexity.

———————————————————————————-

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Espresso Milkshake with Coffee Liqueur Recipe

serves 2

by Nicole Branan

INGREDIENTS:

• 1/2 cup milk
  • 10 ounces French vanilla ice cream
  • pumpkin spice ganache (the recipe is here)
  • 2 shots of espresso
  • 2 shots of coffee liqueur (I used Kapali)
  • whipped cream (optional)
  • cocoa powder

DIRECTIONS:

1. Add milk and ice cream to a blender (or food processor if you don’t have a blender) and blend.
  2. Layer ice cream/milk, ganache, espresso and liqueur into two 8-ounce glasses.
  3. Top with whipped cream, if using.
  4. Dust with cocoa powder.
  5. Serve immediately.

———————————————————————————-

Food Photography and Styling: I went back to my tried and trusted bright food, dark shadows lighting setup for this shot and I think that worked well for the drink. To imply action I stuck a straw in the drink (it’s a paper straw I bought from Jo-Ann some time ago) and to tell the reader that there is pumpkin spice in the shake I put some of the individual spices in the composition as well. I tried to add props in the background (like a milk bottle) but they just distracted from the drink and I ended up liking the shot best without them.

Nikon D600, 105mm, f/5.6, 1/125 sec., ISO 100. One Hensel Integra Pro Plus 500 Monolight, 35″ x 58″ Softbox.

This entry was posted in Drinks.

Sinful is the right word! :) Kahlua is actually the most well-known brand of coffee liqueur here too, I’ve just always used Kapali, it’s cheaper but tastes almost the same.

Thank you so much, Lisa! I moved the spices around forever until I finally had them such that I liked them. :)

What I wouldn’t give to have that waiting for me this afternoon when I finish all the gardening I have to do. If that were waiting for me I’d have my work done at warp speed :-)My Fitbit would go wild with buzzing and shaking with all my activity. YUM!! What a gorgeous dessert/drink!! Beautiful shot as usual!!

It is the perfect reward for an afternoon of gardening indeed. If you were closer I’d have one of these bad boys ready for you. :)

2. Melinda | Sprinkle and a Dash says:

Nicole, Amazing as usual! Love, love, love it, and I have everything. Plus Pumpkin Pie Spice ganache. Where has that been hiding?
    Question: I wonder if you tried making the ganache with white chocolate and didn’t like it together or if you just always prefer it with dark and milk chocolate?

Thank you, Melinda! And good question, I actually did try to make it with white chocolate several times but I found it very difficult, the white chocolate always broke on me. Could have been the brand I was using or perhaps I needed a different technique. I need to look into that again! Thank you for reminding me! :)

3. Tuyet nguyen says:

Hi, I’m from India who bought the photoshop program from your website but unlucky i only downloaded 7 links out of 11 links due to my bad network. After log in again the link is expired …so can you pls give me any advice that I can download the rest link again
    Thanks you

4. Louise | Cygnet Kitchen says:

I went to a summer fair the other day and was given milk shake made with milk, sugary synthetic tasting syrup and crushed ice cubes. I was so disappointed, I could have cried!! Now this..this is a milkshake worth every single calorie! So beautifully shot I wish I could just reach in and take that ice cold glass of heaven… <3 <3 <3