Why I love it: This vegan dish is very easy and quick to make, tastes delicious and is also quite healthy with the fresh herbs, coriander, lemon juice, vegetables and olive oil. It works equally well as a warm side dish or a cold side salad and is a perfect fit for any grilled meat and seafood. Happy summer!
To license this image please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grilling season is almost here – yay! I love grilled meat and seafood and one of my favorite side dishes for anything grilled is cauliflower rice. Have you made cauliflower rice? It tastes really wonderful, has a texture very similar to actual rice but is much less dry. I absolutely love it. It’s also very easy to prepare, you just briefly pulse cauliflower florets in your food processor, toss the “rice” with olive oil and your favorite seasoning (I use ground coriander), spread it out on a baking sheet and roast it for about ten minutes. Done! In the recipe here I mixed the rice with grilled zucchini for extra texture and a bit of smokiness and fresh mint and cilantro for summery freshness. It’s a wonderful side dish that you can serve warm or cold. If you like you can also sprinkle a few chopped raisins in for a little sweetness.
Herbed Roasted Cauliflower Rice with Coriander and Grilled Zucchini Recipe
by Nicole Branan
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 zucchini
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins (optional)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the individual florets off the cauliflower and cut larger ones in half so that they are all approximately the same size.
- Working in batches, pulse the cauliflower florets in the food processor until they have the consistency of rice.
- Toss the cauliflower with the oil, the coriander and the salt and spread onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast for 10 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is in the oven, thinly slice the zucchini and grill on a grill or on a grill pan.
- Toss the cauliflower rice with the grilled zucchini, the lemon juice and the herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you’re adding raisins, mix them in.
- Serve warm as a side dish or cold as a side salad for grilled meat and seafood.
Food Photography and Styling: I wouldn’t necessarily call this side dish ugly but it is definitely visually uninteresting so I created a lot of story and atmosphere around it to support it. To me this is a summer dish so I wanted to show freshness and a grilling season/summer time feeling. I did that by putting lots of green herbs in the composition (to me green says “summer”) and since mint is an ingredient in this recipe that made overall sense as well. The lighting (as always I used my trusty strobe) is coming from a low angle and is fairly hard with lots of highlight and shadow interplay to give the photograph an outdoorsy feel.
Nikon D600, 105mm, f/5.6, 1/125 sec., ISO 100. One Hensel Integra Pro Plus 500 Monolight.