Herbed Roasted Cauliflower Rice with Coriander and Grilled Zucchini

Why I love it: This vegan dish is very easy and quick to make, tastes delicious and is also quite healthy with the fresh herbs, coriander, lemon juice, vegetables and olive oil. It works equally well as a warm side dish or a cold side salad and is a perfect fit for any grilled meat and seafood. Happy summer!

Herbed Roasted Cauliflower Rice with Coriander Grilled Zucchini Recipe

To license this image please contact me at nicole@thespicetrain.com.

Grilling season is almost here – yay! I love grilled meat and seafood and one of my favorite side dishes for anything grilled is cauliflower rice. Have you made cauliflower rice? It tastes really wonderful, has a texture very similar to actual rice but is much less dry. I absolutely love it. It’s also very easy to prepare, you just briefly pulse cauliflower florets in your food processor, toss the “rice” with olive oil and your favorite seasoning (I use ground coriander), spread it out on a baking sheet and roast it for about ten minutes. Done! In the recipe here I mixed the rice with grilled zucchini for extra texture and a bit of smokiness and fresh mint and cilantro for summery freshness. It’s a wonderful side dish that you can serve warm or cold. If you like you can also sprinkle a few chopped raisins in for a little sweetness.

Herbed Roasted Cauliflower Rice with Coriander and Grilled Zucchini

• 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
  • ½ cup chopped raisins (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Cut the individual florets off the cauliflower and cut larger ones in half so that they are all approximately the same size.
  3. Working in batches, pulse the cauliflower florets in the food processor until they have the consistency of rice.
  4. Toss the cauliflower with the oil, the coriander and the salt and spread onto a rimmed baking sheet.
  5. Roast for 10 minutes.
  6. While the cauliflower is in the oven, thinly slice the zucchini and grill on a grill or on a grill pan.
  7. Toss the cauliflower rice with the grilled zucchini, the lemon juice and the herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  8. If you're adding raisins, mix them in.
  9. Serve warm as a side dish or cold as a side salad for grilled meat and seafood.

Food Photography and Styling: I wouldn’t necessarily call this side dish ugly but it is definitely visually uninteresting so I created a lot of story and atmosphere around it to support it. To me this is a summer dish so I wanted to show freshness and a grilling season/summer time feeling. I did that by putting lots of green herbs in the composition (to me green says “summer”) and since mint is an ingredient in this recipe that made overall sense as well. The lighting (as always I used my trusty strobe) is coming from a low angle and is fairly hard with lots of highlight and shadow interplay to give the photograph an outdoorsy feel.
For info on what type of camera and lighting equipment I used head on over to my FAQ page.

1. Leslie | Bessie Bakes says:

Hi Nicole, I saw this recipe on Foodgawker’s front page because my recipe was right next to yours! I love cauliflower so much that I’ve had it twice this week already, one as a “risotto” and the other was roasted. I agree that roasting brings such great flavor to cauliflower, so I will definitely add this to my new cauliflower recipes to try! Beautiful job.

I think you’ll love it, Mary Ann! I liked the herbs in here too, especially the mint, it makes everything taste like summer. :)

Thank you so much, Julia! I only recently started making cauliflower rice but I immediately loved it. The bowl and the spoon are two real prop treasures that I am lucky to have found indeed. :)

I love the story and it fits perfectly with the cauliflower rice. I’ve not made it yet but I’m looking forward to it. I’ve noticed that you use coriander, often. I have it in the spice cabinet but I’m afraid I’m going to have to toss it — I bet we are way past the expiration date. And mint screams summer as well as the shaved zucchini. I’ve pinned so I can make this when we get home — don’t have a processor here. Have great week.

Thank you, Marisa! I do like coriander a lot, it’s one of my favorite spices, it has such a unique taste and it goes with so many dishes, I find. I’ve actually gotten questions about how to make cauliflower rice without a food processor and I was going to try grating it, I’ll let you know how that works out. :)

3. Wendi Spraker says:

Not only is the beautiful and fresh but I am betting delicious! I loved roasted cauliflower, but I never thought to “rice” it. Great idea. I’m a huge fan of “Braggs” (like soy sauce – only better) on rice and I am sitting here drooling wondering just how delicious that would be on some cauliflower rice! Your recipe looks delicious – I too haven’t really used Coriander. Might be time to give it a try!

Thank you so much, Wendi! I’ve never heard of Braggs, have to check it out, better than soy sauce sounds pretty amazing! Definitely give coriander a try, it’s so versatile. Enjoy your weekend! :)

4. Traci | Vanilla And Bean says:

I’ve yet to try cauli rice, Nicole, but just bought a few beautiful heads for this very purpose. I love the flavors you’ve assembled here and the texture looks perfect. Thank you for your notes, too, on your photography. I always learn something new! :D

Thank you, Angela! I always love the first days of summer, so much fun. We’re not quite there yet up here but soon. :)

5. Winnie says:

For those who don’t want to make their own, Trader Joe’s sells bags of cauliflower rice in their produce aisle..I love the combination of herbs you’ve used.

6. MagB says:

I made this with some very minor tweaks and it was delicious. I had it on it’s own but I think it would be excellent with some grilled fish.