Allspice Apple and Sausage Roast Pan with Croutons and Sage

Recipe Jump Button
Roast pans are my favorite this time of the year, easy to prepare and so comforting. This one is a perfect mix of sweet and savory.

Allspice Apple and Sausage Roast Pan with Croutons and Sage Recipe

To license this image please contact me at nicole@thespicetrain.com.

Allspice and sage are my new favorite flavor combo, they go together like tomato and basil. Well, maybe not quite as perfectly as that but almost. What I did here was toss juicy apple wedges and pork sausages with allspice and a bit of olive oil and then roast them in the oven along with some sourdough bread cubes and fresh sage leaves. I had meant for this to be a side but it’s so substantial and well-rounded that I ended up calling it a main dish. Either way, it’s perfect comfort food for a cold winter evening.

Allspice Apple and Sausage Roast Pan with Croutons and Sage

Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 4
Ingredients:
  • 4 pork sausages
  • 1 apple, cored and cut into wedges (Honeycrisp work very well here)
  • 1½ tablespoons olive oil
  • ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 cup bread cubes (cut from a high-quality sourdough bread)
  • ~ 12 sage leaves, roughly chopped
Instructions:
  1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Toss the sausages and the apple wedges with the olive oil and the allspice.
  3. Transfer to a baking pan and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
  4. Add the sage leaves and the bread cubes to the pan, sprinkle with a little bit of salt and pepper and stir well.
  5. Return the pan to the oven and roast for another 15 minutes, until everything is nicely browned and the sausages are fully cooked.
  6. Slice the sausages into bite-sized pieces and serve.

Food Photography and Styling: The allspice and the sage are important parts of this recipe and to show that I sprinkled a few allspice berries and some fresh sage leaves on the set. (Sage leaves in a vase sitting in the background of a photo tend to look like a miniature palm tree so I stayed away from doing that). Since I happened to have perfectly sage-colored packing paper around I cut out a square of that and put it under the pan. (The paper came as the padding in a package we got a few weeks ago and of course I immediately thought “prop!” and kept it). The green also provided nice contrast to the red of the apple wedges in the dish. A beer was a great visual match for this rustic dish so I poured one and added a bottle opener and cap as well.

For info on what type of camera and lighting equipment I used head on over to my FAQ page.

Thank you, Angela! I did like the color of the apples too, much more pale than the raw apples were but still pretty. :)

1. Louise | Cygnet Kitchen says:

This is the sort of dish that I love to come home to after a long day! I only usually use allspice in baking but love the idea of combining with sage in this dish! You are as always a genius with spicing! Lovely moody shot too. x

Thank you so much, that is such a nice thing to say, Louise! :) I used to use allspice only in baking but I’ve found that it’s surprisingly versatile, it goes with almost anything!

I’ve never thought of that combination — it sounds very German to me — especially with the apples and allspice. We have sage in our garden and I certainly hope it made it through the winter. We simply love the flavor and now you’ve given me an idea for another combination. Now inquiring (nosey) minds want to know — who drinks the beer after the shoot?? Do you get volunteers for quality control :-) ? And your shot looks like it was taken at a Rathskeller– not that I’ve ever been in one but that is what I imagine it would look like. Great recipe!!!

Rathskeller – I love it! That is exactly the type of atmosphere I was going for, dark and broody but still somewhat sophisticated. Good question about who drinks the beer, it depends. Sometimes I just pour it down the drain, like when I shoot in the mornings. Other times my husband may drink it if he’s around or I may drink it myself (I’m definitely not a hug beer fan but if it’s dinner time and warm weather I’m sometimes in the mood for it). :)

3. Wendi Spraker says:

Well, how about that! I didn’t know that my friend Marisa hung out here! But there she is right above me in the comment thread!

This recipe looks completely lovely and like exactly what I am craving right now!

I do have a question – as I am considering a new lens for my Nikon. With the 105mm that you use for this shot – how far away from the scene are you shooting? I am currently using a 50mm 1:1.8 Nikon Nikkor lens. I would LOVE to have a Nikon lens with the Vibration reduction. Do you find that VR makes a huge difference? I assume it does and that is probably why you use it.

Thank you for your help!

Oh, I feel so good to be the cool hangout blog! ;) I just measured and the front of my lens was about 40 inches away from the food in this photo. I use the 105mm because I love the focal length (and because it’s a macro lens that gives me the option to go very close if I want to), I’m actually not concerned with vibration reduction, as a matter of fact the particular model of lens I have (it’s an older model) doesn’t have VR.

Thank you, Mary Ann! Sausage is sometimes really irresistible, isn’t it? In that respect it’s in the same category as bacon. :)

4. Jay @ IndustryEats says:

Hi Nicole,

Now we’re talking! I love the way you incorporated the cast iron in this recipe. I dream about cast iron and when I saw your skillet in this post, I had to break my silence. Great job. The recipe looks delicious, but I have to say, I found joy in reading through food styling and photography notes at the end. It’s refreshing to get some behind the scenes commentary. I appreciate that.

Keep up the good work. Always a fan.

Jay

That is so wonderful to hear, Jay, thank you so much for leaving such a nice comment! I love my cast iron, it’s great for cooking and great for photographs. :)