Spicy Breakfast Skillet

Every now and then I’m in the mood for something spicy in the morning but I never knew what to make until I came up with this breakfast skillet a little while ago. It’s a mix of rosemary potatoes, a poached egg, roasted tomatoes and roasted sweet peppers that are spiced with half-sharp Hungarian paprika. Altogether it makes a perfect, hardy breakfast or brunch.

Spicy Breakfast Skillet Recipe

To license this image please contact me at nicole@thespicetrain.com.

What I love about this dish is that it even though it takes about thirty minutes to prepare it’s not a actually a whole lot of work. You can fry the potatoes while the vegetables are in the oven and poach the egg while the potatoes are frying and that way everything is hot and ready at the same time. Bon appetit!

Spicy Breakfast Skillet

• 2 Russet potatoes, thoroughly cleaned
  • 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter
  • ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Instructions:
  1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Mix olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper together in a bowl, then toss the tomatoes and peppers in it until evenly coated.
  3. Transfer to a baking pan and roast in the oven until the tomatoes burst.
  4. Meanwhile cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  5. Heat the butter in a pan, then fry the potatoes on medium heat in it. When the potatoes are starting to brown, sprinkle the rosemary over them and continue to fry them until they are golden-brown and crispy.
  6. While the potatoes are frying heat a large pot of water for the eggs.
  7. Poach the eggs in the water.
  8. Transfer everything to two plates and sprinkle with cilantro.

Food Photography and Styling: The most important thing for me here was to create an early morning atmosphere to convey the fact that this is breakfast food. I used my strobe to light the set from the side at a low angle to simulate morning light and set a cup of coffee and a roll in the composition to say “breakfast.” The poached egg was surprisingly kind to me and didn’t change its appearance very much after I poked it open. I had expected the yolk to drain into the bottom of the bowl in a matter of seconds but it stayed put very nicely and I could take my time.
For info on what type of camera and lighting equipment I used head on over to my FAQ page.

Absolutely, this is a perfect weekend breakfast! Glad you like the bread, I played around with it forever until I had it in a position that I liked. :)

1. Traci | Vanilla And Bean says:

The paprika takes this to a new level, Nicole and I just love the fried potatoes. Thirty minutes is a snap to enjoy something this delicious on a leisure weekend morning. Your photo shouts good morning with the moody light and I love how the egg behaved for you. No doubt, having to hurry can be a bit challenging! Gorgeous and delicious my dear!

Thank you so much, Traci! I was thinking the same thing, even when I’m really hungry I can wait thirty minutes for a good breakfast. And yeah, having to hurry is my number one enemy when photographing food! :)

Okay — I got the story. I stumble out of bed — it’s early and hubby and I have to be at the shore early — fishing. I’m hungry and I want something different — spicy. I hurry to get dressed. Grab a cup of coffee and start breakfast. The aroma from the kitchen is slowly opening my eyes and my tummy is rumbling. We sit down and take the time to appreciate all of the flavors — the fish are calling but what the heck they can wait, breakfast can’t!! Great recipe. Can’t wait to make it.

Thank you, Marisa! I am flattered that you would choose this breakfast over being at the shore in time for the fish! (And I am impressed that you fish, by the way. I am the worst fisher out there, I have tried a few times but have never caught ANYTHING! :0)

3. Louise | Cygnet Kitchen says:

We always have a cooked breakfast at the weekend. Its so nice to sit and have a leisurely start to the day. The addition of smokey paprika sounds lovely. Just love the mood you have created with the shot too! x

I love leisurely breakfasts too, they always feel like a celebration to me. :) Thank you so much for your kind words, they mean a lot to me coming from a master storyteller like yourself!