To license this image please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A while ago my blogging buddy Allie of Baking a Moment concocted an incredible Danish pastry recipe with a blackberry ginger filling and as soon as I saw that I put ginger berry jam on my to-do list. So for this baked brie here I made a ginger cardamom raspberry condiment that adds some great flavors to the creamy, oozy cheese and makes it a delicious and also somewhat fancy appetizer. The jam is fantastic all by itself, I kept eating it with a spoon throughout the photo shoot. I’m going to try it out on some sweet dishes as well and will be sure to post any noteworthy recipes I come up with. Meanwhile enjoy this brie!
- 6 ounces frozen raspberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon powdered ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 brie
- a few thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon toasted almonds (optional)
- Add frozen raspberries, sugar and cornstarch to a saucepan and start to cook on medium heat, stirring until everything is combined.
- Once the raspberries have thawed add the ginger and the cardamom.
- Cook until the fruit is completely broken down and the jam thickened (about 10 minutes).
- Let cool.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set the brie on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake until warm and melted (about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle thyme leaves and almonds on the brie and serve with the jam.
Food Photography and Styling: The surface I used here is actually the seat of a chair that I bought at the World Market a while ago and I used it here because I thought it worked well with the cheese board. It’s not my favorite background because of its intense and warm color that doesn’t photograph well (which is a shame because I love the texture). Anyway, I started by photographing just the open brie with the jar of jam on the side but the two items looked strangely disconnected so I spooned some jam on the brie and that tied the two together nicely. I lit the photo from the back with my strobe.
Nikon D600, 105mm, f/8, 1/125 sec., ISO 100. One Hensel Integra Pro Plus 500 Monolight, 35″ x 58″ Softbox.