Salted Caramel Pots de Creme

Recipe Jump Button
Salted caramel pots de creme – thick, creamy and delicious!Buy 531

As you know, I find it hard to resist salted caramel anything so when I ran across this foodnetwork.com recipe I had to try it. It turned out as delicious as it sounds: caramel whisked with milk, cream and vanilla, then mixed into egg yolks, embellished with a hint of milk chocolate and baked until thick and creamy. How could you go wrong with that? I followed the recipe closely but reduced the amount of sugar a little bit and didn’t add salt to the custard, instead I just sprinkled it on because I prefer to only occasionally get a little taste of salt. Enjoy!

Salted Caramel Pots de Creme

Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 6-8
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • ½ cup milk
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • ¼ cup water
  • 1 ounce milk chocolate, finely chopped
  • 6 egg yolks
  • fleur de sel for sprinkling
Instructions:
  1. Head on over to foodnetwork.com for directions.

Food Photography and Styling:  I loved the thick and creamy texture of these custards and made sure to show it by spooning a little bit of it out of one of the jars. To give the surface of the custards a nice shine I shot at a bit of an angle rather than perfectly parallel to the surface from overhead. The composition is a bit unusual with the “hero” jar smack in the center of the frame, rather than on one of the lines that dissect the frame into thirds, but I thought it worked here. I didn’t want to set the jars directly on the surface, that would have looked too monotonous and boring, so I used my trusty little cooling rack and a little metal coaster to set some of the jars on. I lit this photo from the back with my strobe.
For info on what type of camera and lighting equipment I used head on over to my FAQ page.

1. Nagi@RecipeTinEats says:

They kind of eye and talent it takes for photos like this can’t be taught, you’re born with it. Just incredible.

I’ve never made pots de creme but salted caramel is one of my fave flavours for ANYTHING so I’ll be trying this, maybe even today for my date!! ;) Will let you know if it impresses!

2. Kathleen | HapaNom says:

My goodness, this looks incredible! Then again, all of your dishes look amazing :)

I’ve never made salted caramel pots, but that’s something I need to change – they look so wonderfully decadent!

3. mila furman says:

I don’t care how many times I re-read your book (grand total of 3 so far) your skills for photography are insane…I can only hope to get my pics half as good as yours one day!!! And YES I mUST make this! PINNED!

4. Helen @ Scrummy Lane says:

Reading this post has made me realise that I’ve NEVER made pots de creme before … why, oh why?
    These kinds of dessert of my favourite for entertaining, though. Relatively simple to make but they look sooo impressive. And salted caramel? Well, you can’t really go wrong with that flavour, can you?
    Absolutely love your photos … but that goes without saying, really …

Never ever?! Oh, you must make them sometime, Helen! I really love the super-creamy texture of pots de creme, I even like to look at them just because of that. :)

5. Shinee says:

Just watched Ina’s fleur de sel caramel candy the other day on FN and I was drooling the entire episode! But now this! I can’t even!!

Need to get my hands on fleur de sel asap!

6. Allie | BakingAMoment says:

I absolutely cannot imagine a more delicious dessert. I am such a sucker for salted caramel, and these pots de creme have that PLUS chocolate?? All in a soft and comforting creamy custard? I’m swooning. Always enjoy your photography tips as well, and I love the props you’ve chosen. What is that tabletop surface you’re using?

7. Kevin | KevinIsCooking says:

Am loving this shot Nicole, beautiful. The unctuous, dreamy caramel looks so delicious. The fleur de sel on top is perfect. I know that my popcorn I have next to me as I read blogs tonight just doesn’t quite fit the need that your pots de creme would!

8. Maggie says:

Salted caramel is one of my favorite and having it as a dessert is one of the things I look forward too. Love your photos. The sea salt adds great texture! Which brand of the salt did you use?

Hey thanks so much, Maggie! I ordered the salt online cause I couldn’t find it in any of our grocery stores here. The company was called Das Salt.