If your arteries are too wide I suggest you eat this beer cheddar soup every day for a month. In all other cases please look at it as a treat that should only be indulged in occasionally. Beer, butter, bacon, cheese and cream – it’s all in here, and unsurprisingly it’s fantastic.
The soup is not my creation, it’s a recipe by chef Jonathan Erdeljac that I found in Food & Wine magazine a while ago. I’ve cooked it several times and made one slight modification the last time: I added one teaspoon of Hungarian paprika along with the celery, onion, jalapeño, garlic and thyme. The soup is already outstanding without it but if you like a little extra spice and sharpness, add the paprika.
- ½ pound bacon, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika*
- 1 12-ounce bottle lager or pilsner
- 2¼ cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ pound sharp cheddar, shredded
- 4 ounces smoked cheddar, shredded
- Head on over to Food & Wine magazine for the instructions.