Prop Talk!

Hi there! No recipe today, instead I’m starting a new series of posts called Prop Talk. Every second Wednesday from now on I’ll write a post about my favorite food photography props. Why am I doing that? Because I love props, I think about them constantly and I want to talk about them.

I hope the food bloggers and photographers among you do too so we can have endless prop chats together. Do you love props as much as I do? I think sometimes it’s actually the props, not the food, that make the food photo. What do you think?

I’ll start with one of my favorites, this rustic chair:

Wooden chairs as food photography props.

I found this beautiful piece of furniture in an antique store in Denver and use it all the time as a “table” surface. Two examples of the chair in action are below. What makes this prop so great is its rustic look AND its dimensions. The seat is 15 inches by 13 inches, which makes it a perfect surface for small plates and bowls that would look completely lost on an actual table. Another nice thing about the chair is that it is easy to move around and doesn’t take up much space in the studio (and if you get tired you can sit on it too).

What about you? Do you photograph on chairs? Do you like it? What’s your favorite food photography prop?

See you back here Friday with a new recipe!

Here is the chair in action:

Roasted Chicken
From post Roasted Cornish Game Hen with Homemade Seasoning Salt.

Yogurt Ginger Mint Dip
From post Yogurt Ginger Mint Dip.

1. Brycia says:

I have been thinking about getting a chair to photograph on ever since I saw the White on Rice couple using one Creative Live. Now I’ll definitely have to find one!

2. Pang says:

Thank you so much for sharing your prop. This series is going to be so awesome; I can’t wait to read more about your propsssssss :)

I have never used chair before, but to my defence, I don’t have that kind of rustic chair like yours. This is great info, Nicole. Thank you. :)

3. Anna | One Prickly Pear says:

Oh, yes! I’m really, really looking forward to more from this series. I always use cutting boards as props. Never thought of using a chair…hmmm. Thanks for sharing a great idea!
    By the way, I want to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster Award if you’re interested in participating. Hope you are :)

4. Nicole B. says:

Great! Glad you guys found this helpful!

Anna, thank you so much for the nomination, love to do it! What a fun community this food blogger universe is! :)
    Yeah, cutting boards can be really useful, I like to use them too!

5. marta@platedujour.com says:

Oh my, I got scared for a moment that someone had finally discovered my sicret :-D I use a little chair too, it was the only piece of furniture when I moved into my apartment. It’s old enough so I started using it as a prop, why not?! :)

6. Emily says:

So excited for your new prop posts! One of my favorite things about your blog is your styling. I agree that props can completely set the whole tone for the photo. I just ordered a wood board from etsy that I’m really hoping will look like this chair. I love it!

7. Nagi@RecipeTin Eats says:

HOW is it that I have never come across your blog before?!! I am blown away. Absolutely blown away, not only by the stunning luxe magazine quality of your photos but also your recipes. It is so rare to find a blog with both of such high quality. I am stunned by how great your photos are. And this photography series is so fantastic!! The timing is incredible – yesterday I spent the day with my family “birthday present shopping” and guess what my request was? That we go to second hand markets and rummage for props :) I got so much fantastic stuff for a pittance. AND we then went to a junkyard and got big tiles I was thinking of using as surfaces and backgrounds! Yet to be tested, but I see potential. Off to keep reading! Thank you for sharing these fantastic tips!!

That is so nice of you to say, Nagi! Thank you! I’m so glad you like my blog and the prop talk series, I have lots more in the pipeline. :)

8. Radhika@JustHomemade says:

Nicole, Thank you for stopping by..
    Thanks because, I got to discover your lovely website.
    Just gazing through this series, I know I’ll be coming back for more…

ps: was wondering where I had seen spicetrain and now I get it .. it was the DMBLGiT contest!

Thank you so much for leaving such a nice comment, Radhika, I really appreciate that. I’m so glad I found your site as well! I saw those beautiful Linzer cookies on FG and immediately clicked over. :)