I’ll start the sumac series with this easy, quick and very delicious spice-marinated chicken kebab recipe. Sumac adds a wonderful lemon flavor here but is at the same time not as harsh as actual lemon juice would be. (It also doesn’t seem to break down the meat during the marinating process like actual citrus juice would). I recommend you serve these kebabs with salad, black olives, pita bread and maybe some hummus. Enjoy and if you decide to make this recipe let me know what you think of it!
- 1 tablespoon ground sumac
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I used actual cinnamon and not cassia)
- 1/2 teaspoon tandoori (you can substitute generic curry powder if you don’t have tandoori)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- vegetables of your choice (I used tomatoes and shaved zucchini)
1. Mix sumac, salt, pepper, cinnamon, tandoori and oil together in a bowl.
2. Cut the meat into 1 1/2-inch chunks, add to the spice/oil mix and marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
3. Thread vegetables and meat onto skewers and grill until the chicken’s internal temperature registers 165 degrees F.