We were snowed in last week for a day and I had to get creative with what I found in the fridge and the pantry. This dish is the result and, of course, I wouldn’t be posting it if it hadn’t turned out really tasty! Broccoli florets tossed in a bit of oil, seasoned with salt, pepper and curry powder and roasted until tender, then sprinkled with a hint of lemon juice and toasted almonds. Made a super side dish!
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- broccoli florets from 1 head of broccoli
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- a few drops of lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix oil, salt, pepper and curry powder together in a bowl.
- Toss the broccoli florets in the mix until evenly and well coated.
- Spread the florets onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and roast for 10 minutes.
- Take the baking sheet out and sprinkle the almonds over the broccoli.
- Return to the oven and roast for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve.
Food Photography and Styling: Green usually has me running for the hills, it’s the most difficult color to photograph, in my opinion. Pairing it with a dark brown makes it a little easier in my experience so that’s what I did here. (Plus, a brown set worked well with the brown almonds). I tried to arrange the florets and almonds in a pretty but not too regular pattern and stuck a spoon into the plate to suggest action. As usual, I lit the set from the side with my Hensel Integra Pro Plus 500 strobe and my Hensel Ultra IV Softbox – 35×58″ (90x150cm)) and blocked the light in the top and bottom parts of the frame to create a spotlight on the dish.
Lens: I took this photo with my 105mm f2.8 NIKKOR macro lens. You can find the current version of this lens through the following link (I use an older version that is no longer being sold): AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens.
Camera: I used my Nikon D600 to take this photo. You can find the current version of this camera through the following link: Nikon D610 DSLR Camera.